News and updates
June 23, 2022 • 5 minutes of reading
Comelec denies the opposition of the Duterte Youth to the replacement of the P3PWD nominees by Guanzón | INQUIRER.NET – The Electoral Commission (Comelec) has denied the opposition of the Duterte Youth Party list to a substitution of candidates from the P3PWD Party list, specifically that of the former Comelec commissioner, Rowena Guanzón, as representative. Introducing the formal opposition last week, Duterte’s Youth Party ticket representative Ducielle Cardema and her husband, National Youth Commission President Ronald Cardema, said replacing nominees of the P3PWD was an “attempt to circumvent the law and promulgate Comelec’s rules”, as was done seven months later. the deadline of November 15. But Comelec, coming out with its ruling, did not agree. “Approval of the Recommendation of the Legal Department to Deny the Verified Opposition of June 17, 2022 (to the Substitution of the Nominees of the P3PWD Party List) presented by the DUTERTE Youth Party List”, he said on Thursday to journalists the interim spokesman for Comelec, Rex Laudiangco. Laudiangco explained that among the grounds for denying opposition from the party list is Comelec Resolution No. 10717, which “establishes rules prior to the elections and not after the elections.” Laudiangco also noted that they accepted the new list of P3PWD nominees “in line with the 2019 Duterte Youth case in which the full Commission granted/permitted/provided due course for withdrawals, substitutions and the presentation of a new list. of nominees after the elections. He further pointed out that Articles 8 and 16 of Republic Law No. 7941 “allow the presentation of additional nominees when the list of nominees has been exhausted.” To recall, all five of the original P3PWD nominees stepped down for personal and health reasons.
Next NICA boss: ‘We have to focus on the Western Philippine Sea’ | INQUIRER.NET – The designated director general of the National Intelligence Coordination Agency (NICA), Ricardo de León, said on Thursday that he wants to “give a focus” to the territorial dispute with China in the Western Philippine Sea. The country must strengthen its presence in the area to assert its sovereignty over Philippine waters, he said. “We also have to focus on the Western Philippine Sea,” de Leon told ABS-CBN news channel. “Any development with our neighbors, especially in that area, will certainly affect internal security. We have to see everything, integrate and harmonize our efforts.” He then emphasized: “The prolonged presence of a security force in the Western Philippine Sea, kailangan ma-strengthens natin ‘yan, so that we can also ensure the safety of our fishermen.” (We need to strengthen our security forces in the Western Philippine Sea so that we can ensure the safety of our fishermen.) With this in mind, the incoming NICA chief said he appreciates that the issue is among President-elect Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.’s priorities.
The authorities said: If there will be leniency in the application of the law, let them grant it to the poor | PHILSTAR.COM – Respect for constitutional rights, including due process, should be for everyone, regardless of wealth or political leanings, the Philippine Integrated Bar Association reminded authorities on Thursday. But when leniency must be dispensed to enforce the law, “let it be for the poor and oppressed, not for those with rights,” the IBP Board of Governors added in a statement. The IBP raised the alarm for the arrest of journalists covering protest actions by peasants and artists in Concepción, Tarlac. This was after Police Lt. Gen. Vicente Danao Jr., the officer in charge of the Philippine National Police, accused the journalists of agitating for activist groups and then filing complaints against them and the people they covered. “Why are you with those militants? What is your purpose there? That is my question for you… First of all, if you went there, you are already with those people”, he said then. The national organization of lawyers pointed out that it is questionable to attribute affiliation to the presence of journalists in events of public interest. “Journalists should not have to risk arrest and criminal charges when they are fulfilling their constitutionally protected duties to cover and report on matters of public consequence, such as land reform disputes,” he added. The IBP also emphasized that while zealous enforcement is welcome, it must be applied equally. Meanwhile, leniency in execution, when dispensed, should be skewed toward the poor and not “individuals with rights with a documented history of reckless endangerment.” “Lately, we see more compassion for the latter than the former,” they added. While the IBP did not release names, an SUV driver who struck, ran over a security guard and sped away has been in trouble after failing to show up despite citations from authorities. When he surfaced, he was given a press conference at the Philippine National Police headquarters where he apologized and his mother testified that he is a good person. José Antonio Sanvicente was allowed to go to his house after confronting the press, as no court order had been issued at the time. He is now under preliminary investigation at the Mandaluyong prosecutor’s office weeks after the incident. In stark contrast, the more than 90 farmers and their supporters, along with 11 journalists arrested in Tarlac, were seen being manhandled and yanked by police in videos posted by peasant groups. This was despite the fact that the farmers were simply doing “bungkalan”, which is a form of protest involving collective tilling of the land. The groups condemned the “groundless mass arrest” of the farmers, as farmers from the Makisama-Tinang local group, which represents the beneficiaries of the land reform, also claimed that a Certificate of Ownership title has already been granted to the land. land for the 200 hectares of disputed land to 236 CARP beneficiaries. since 1995, but claimed that the latter was hidden from them.
It will brighten our day if you share this post 😊